Library Collection and Services
- A Little Library, made by volunteer Len Roe, is located on the steps of the Mt. Vernon Community Center.
- The library has approximately 12,700 books plus a collection of audiovisual materials including about 600 audio books on CD, and 2,000 DVD’s. We also maintain a small collection of VHS’s and audio cassettes. Twenty three (23) magazine subscriptions are available to check out as well.
- Three computers, connected to a wireless system, are available for public use. The network also allows patrons to bring their own electronic devices from home. The free wifi can be accessed outside the building when the library is closed.
- The online patron access catalog (OPAC) is available for public use from anywhere with internet access.
- A collection of Board Books are available for toddlers.
- A small number of large print books are available.
- Several cassette players are available to borrow.
- The library subscribes to a downloadable audio and ebook program though the Maine State Library, which is free for patrons to use. Use the 4 digit number assigned to you on your library card to access this free service by going through the Maine State Library home page under Popular Services.
- We subscribe to the streaming service Hoopla for our patrons. Hoopla allows each patron to borrow 5 items per month. It provides access to movies and television shows, ebooks, audiobooks, and music for all ages. You can sign up for it by using the barcode on your library card (or call us if you can’t find your card).
- Librarians are happy to interlibrary loan materials from other libraries, or add them to their current wish list for purchase.
Special Collections and Comforts
- In addition to books, audios, videos and magazines, the library has a collection of kitchenware such as holiday baking pans, unique muffin tins, and cookie cutters that may be borrowed.
- A seed exchange is a popular item for the many gardeners in town.
- Comfortable rocking chairs for parents to sit and read with their children as well as a variety of toys and puzzles help engage our young patrons.
- A book sale room is maintained all year. Donations of newer, clean books, audiobooks and DVD’s are welcome and can be dropped off during library hours.
- Librarians are happy to assist you with locating just the right book, with reference questions, or basic computer skills. Just ask!