December 2016 Spirit of America Award
Our wonderful library volunteers were recognized and applauded at the Spirit of America Award Ceremony at the County Court House in Augusta on Thursday December 8 along with other recipients in the 25 towns in Kennebec County who also made significant contributions to their community. Volunteer hours quadruple the regular staffed hours, allowing for this resource to offer so much more to Mt Vernon and surrounding towns. Special recognition goes to Pat Rawson, Betsy Corning, Diane Lee and Carol Fuller for their weekly ongoing commitment and dedication to the daily operating of the library.
The library could not function without all the wonderful help from our faithful volunteers.
Currently we have volunteers at every open shift. Even substitute volunteers are on board to come in as needed. Our regular volunteers process new books, discard old ones, maintain our book sale room, enter new books, weed through magazines, assist with locating books for patrons, put books away, and in general, anything else that needs to be done!
There are still opportunities to volunteer at the Dr. Shaw memorial Library. If you have time and would like to help you could:
- Offer a program – almost any idea you have would be welcome. You could share a hobby or talent, do a book talk
- If you are interested in technology, you could assist patrons with learning to use facebook, or just basic computer skills, teach how to download to a nook or kindle or offer some drop in times where people could come in with questions
- Help with the annual Book Sale-Set up this year is July 15, Sale date July 16
- Assist with the Bake Sale at our Mt. Vernon town meeting June 18
- Offer a children’s story hour-read/listen to children read/offer crafts
- If you are interested please contact one of the librarians or email us at: Drshaw@shaw.lib.me.us