The Mission of The Dr. Shaw Memorial Library is to build community by bringing people, information and ideas together and to encourage education through use of our collections and services.
- The Dr. Shaw Memorial Library is a vibrant part of the community, serving both towns of Vienna and Mount Vernon as well as all other surrounding towns.
- Use of the Dr. Shaw Memorial Library is free to the public regardless of residency.
- All materials may be borrowed for two weeks.
- Renewals can be requested by phone.
- Materials may be reserved or placed on hold.
- After Hours Returns can be made at the wooden box on the porch or a metal mailbox near the ramp at the side entrance.
Dr. Shaw Memorial Library History and Information
The library was originally a private residence built in 1841 by Calvin Hopkins. In 1883, Dr. Herbert and Ella Doten Shaw purchased the house which they used as their residence and the doctor’s office. Dr. Shaw practiced in Mount Vernon for many years during which he grew to love the town and was respected by the town’s people.
Mrs. Shaw died in 1926, followed by Dr. Shaw in 1939. His will gave his house and savings to the town to be used as a library. In 1943, the Dr. Shaw Memorial Library was opened to the public and in 1979 it became the town library.
Dr. Shaw left a trust fund for the library’s support and over the years other generous donations have allowed for a healthy book budget, beautiful landscaping, carpeting, improvements to the driveway, and other major projects.
Margaret Webber, the librarian for many years, is also part of the library’s history. The room which houses our public access computers is named the Margaret Webber room in her honor. The Maine books room upstairs is dedicated to former well known resident and local historian, Clayton Dolloff.
A beautiful landscaped garden in memory of former trustee Sue Inch, made possible through a generous donor, adorns the property.
A dedicated board of trustees, an excellent staff and many hours contributed by faithful volunteers make this all possible. The board of trustees includes Chairwoman Dorcas Riley, George Smith, Sherene Gilman, Shari Hamilton, and Fred Webber. Staff members are Head Librarian Alice Olson, Anne Brooks, and Mary Anne Libby